There is probably need to recall neither the background story nor what a macaque looks like: everybody knows already but, just in case, here you go.
The update on this story is that, following much copyright-related speculation, YOU can now have your say by selecting one of the following options:
- The monkey owns the copyright: she's the author, after all [this is fairly reasonable, just look at the IPKat: he has never doubted that Merpel - his favourite feline - owns the copyright to the posts she authors]
- Only humans are authors so the photographer owns the copyright as the nearest relevant human
- There is no copyright in works "authored" by animals: they are a gift to humanity which we can all use
- The United Nations should set up a special agency to own and control uses of all non-human works like this
- Whichever human gets to it first can keep it, just like any other bona vacantia